Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Pura Vida



Next semester I will be studying abroad in Costa Rica and I’ve heard from several people how beautiful it is, how many awesome things there are to do down there, and how lucky I am to be going! Yes, yes, and yes. I absolutely can’t wait. 
I figured I would do a little research and I stumbled upon the 13 best things to do in Costa Rica.  Hopefully throughout my time there, I will be able to travel to a few of these places and I will certainly blog about it! 
To begin, this is the website that these things are coming from: http://travel.usnews.com/Costa_Rica/Things_To_Do/
#1: Nicoya Peninsula
It is recommended to go here because of it’s beautiful shoreline and beach, and dense forests. It is located in the northwestern tip and skirts out into the Pacific. It’s about an 2-3 hour car ride from San José. I might be able to go here because I will be living really close to San José.
#2: Arenal Volcano
Arenal is one of the world’s most active volcanoes. On the northern side of the volcano you can go to the Arenal Observatory Lodge and view the volcano.  It is recommended to go between February and April and you will have a better, unobstructed view. Perfect, because that’s exactly when I will be in Costa Rica! 
#3: Guanacaste
This is Costa Rica’s “Gold Coast” and it is one of the most interesting destinations.  It contains secluded beaches, dry sunny savannas, views of volcanoes and fishing villages. This hot spot is located on the North Pacific Coast. 
#4: Corcovado National Park
This 11,000 acre rainforest is a popular spot because of it’s diverse wildlife.  Some things you might see during a stroll though the rainforest are macaws, tapirs, jaguars, spiders and howler monkeys. It is suggested to visit in the mornings to see the most wildlife. 
#5: Manuel Antonio National Park 
This park is one of Costa Rica’s smallest, but within it’s three square miles there are untouched beaches and nature trails, beautiful rain forests and secret coves. This little paradise is located about 2 hours south of San José. I will definitely be trying to make a weekend trip here! 
#6: Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve
#7: Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
#8: Jacó
#9: La Paz Waterfall Gardens
#10: Tabacón Hot Springs
#11: San José
#12: Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge
#13: Tortuguero National Park


My study abroad program has planned excursions on some of the weekends, I hope that we visit a few of these amazing places! I will definitely update this blog during my time in Costa Rica. 
Hopefully I’ll be sipping the most delicious coffee swinging in a hammock while a monkey plays with my hair.  That’s just a thought! 

No comments:

Post a Comment